Interviews with email marketing expert, Justin Premick of AWeber Communications. The 54-minute interview answers the top 20 questions small business owners want to know about professional email marketing.
Hover your mouse over the image below to see play/pause/volume controls.
I recently got together on the phone with Justin Premick, Director of Education Marketing at AWeber Communications for an in-depth interview on email marketing for small business owners. I wanted to ask all the questions I thought you would want to know about modern email marketing. If I missed one, add it into the comments area at the end of this post.
Here are the 20 questions we discussed during the interview:
- What are the pitfalls of “old school” email marketing (Outlook with CC & BCC fields)?
- What are the benefits of using a professional online email marketing service provider?
- How does an online email marketing service work, step-by-step.
- What happens to the data once someone has filled out an email form on a website?
- What are CAN-SPAM regulations?
- Can you use an email marketing service before you have a website?
- How do you get current client email addresses into a new email marketing database list?
- What is an “unsubscribe” link and why is it required?
- What is a “double opt-in” and why is it so important?
- What’s the difference between HTML and plain-text emails?
- Describe pitfalls of using an @gmail.com, @yahoo.com, or @hotmail.com email address?
- How can a small business owner build their email marketing list?
- How often should you email your clients (aka “subscribers”)?
- What are some good ideas for email marketing subject lines?
- What should you say in your email marketing messages?
- How can blog posts and email marketing messages be used together?
- What should a small business owner know about email “deliverability?”
- What is an “autoresponder”?
- How do you avoid being left in spam filters?
- How many email marketing messages should be information versus promotional?